Wednesday, 30 April 2014


Hi there. It's the middle of the first week of the summer holidays. We got a beautiful photo from K's Kindergarten on the last day (last Fri) of his class and teachers.

It made me realise how far we've come and how much better K is doing since we moved. He still has his moments but together we are all learning and seem much happier as a family.
On last Friday me and C were officially given our status here, him as a returning Aurovilian (which lasts 6 months before getting full Aurovilian status) and me as a Newcomer (which lasts a year). It's nice to have that part of things done, nearly 8 months later we are still waiting for our residential permits and visa extensions. Once they are in our possession, C can apply of OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) status and me and K will be eligible for PIO (Person of Indian Origin) status as his wife and son. That will enable us to live here and travel to and from India without visas which will be a huge help.
Getting to the reason behind todays post title, on Monday morning I had my first bike accident. I was going a little too fast around a corner and my front wheel slipped on the gravel as I was oversteering and down we went. K was totally unharmed (phew!) and I grazed my right arm and leg as well as taking off a layer of skin on my big toe. It was a small accident, but enough to shake me up. I am driving much more consciously now! My arm and leg are fine, a little sore but healing well. My toe, however, is going to take a little more time. Here in the tropics, things just don't heal so quickly and out here with all the dust things can easily become infected, especially on the feet where the exposure to dirt is higher (no shoes or socks for us!). I'm just not used to having to be so stringent about these things but luckily C, having grown up here, knows the drill. It's still swollen and sore, hopefully it'll heal soon.
To top it off, K came down with a bad stomach on Monday night, I'm not sure yet what the cause is but it's still happening now although he's much better. Yesterday was full of trips to the loo and me hobbling after him trying to keep my foot clean and dry whilst keeping him clean and dry as well as washing all the dirty bedding in between power cuts.
Me and K are coming down with colds too, which is silly considering how warm it is but with all the cold showers and sleeping with the fan on, it's apparently quite a common reaction.
So all in all a bit of a rubbish start to the holidays. Tomorrow is another holiday so it gives me another day to heal before work on Fri and Sat. I'm hoping that it's a case of getting all the injuries and illnesses out the way for a while so we can enjoy the next 7 weeks.
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment